Skip to main content
OEDK – International Summer Experience in Engineering Design (iSEED)
- On the Web: http://oedk.rice.edu/iseed
- About the Program: The Oshman Engineering Design Kitchen (OEDK) offers iSEED as an international study abroad opportunity, to work on community- and client-based projects, and earn Rice credit in courses that count toward the Engineering Design Minor. Please visit the website for more details on location, courses, and cost.
- Eligibility: Any undergraduate engineering student could benefit from this experience. Those enrolled in the Engineering Design Minor could obtain 6 credits towards the minor. ENGI 120 - Freshman Design, is a prerequisite for the ENGI 200 course.
Rice 360° GLHT Summer Internships
- On the Web: https://www.rice360.rice.edu/internships
- About the Program: The Rice 360° GLHT Summer Internship program gives Rice University undergraduate students – both science and non-science majors – first-hand exposure to health care in resource-constrained settings. The internship program serves to:
- Improve students’ understanding of the constraints (infrastructural, cultural, political, educational, technological, etc.) under which such care is provided
- Inspire ideas for appropriate technological solutions to medical care issues
- Guide the students in the development of global health technologies that are responsive to care constraints.
- In partnership with clinics, schools, and organizations working in developing countries, the internships allow students to advance in a real-world setting their solution to a Global Health Design Challenge Project developed at Rice through their Global Health Technologies Minor coursework.
- Eligibility: Undergraduate students in good standing with a GPA of 3.0 or better who are at least 18 years old. Students must have gotten a B or better in one of the GLHT minor core courses have done a global health project in BIOE 451/452, ENGI 120, or NSCI 120.
Rice in Country
- On the Web: https://clic.rice.edu/study-abroad
- About the Program: We offer Rice in Country, Rice faculty-led summer study abroad programs. Students earn 6 credits in 6 weeks through a combination of coursework, homestay, community engagement, cultural excursions, and interaction with local language partners. Rice in Country programs fulfill the experiential learning requirement for the Certificate in Language and Intercultural Communication. For Summer 2019, we will offer programs in China, France, Italy, Korea, Japan, and Spain. Click on the social media buttons on the left to follow our students' journeys!
Engineers Without Borders- Rice University Student Chapter
- On the Web: ewb.rice.edu
- About the Program: “The Engineers Without Borders-USA Rice University Student Chapter is a student-run organization dedicated to collaborating with communities in the developing world. We aim to provide community-driven sustainable and culturally appropriate engineering solutions that improve quality of life while forming strong intercultural relationships and understanding. Through these projects, EWB-USA Rice encourages the development of socially and politically conscious engineers with outstanding leadership skills and practical, hands-on, engineering experience.”
GEO Mexico – Chiapas, Mexico
- On the Web: https://ccl.rice.edu/students/learn/global-engagement-opportunities/geo-2018-trips-and-participants/geo-mexico/
- About the Program: The GEO-Mexico trip is a culmination of a multifaceted partnership with Fundacion Cantaro Azul in Chiapas, Mexico maintained by the Center for Civic Leadership. The partnership came about through a collaboration with Faculty member, Dr. Jorge Loyo who teaches engineering and water treatment courses. The CCL works with Dr. Loyo on a selection of a group of students from his class to take their academic experiences beyond the classroom. Students can take classroom design projects and test their effectiveness in solving real-world problems affecting communities in Chiapas where Fundacion Cantaro Azul is based. Through the mentorship of the local organization, students build on their classroom learning through meaningful fieldwork.
GEO 1X – Quito, Ecuador
- On the Web: https://ccl.rice.edu/students/learn/global-engagement-opportunities/geo-2018-trips-and-participants/global-engagement-opportunity-1x-geo-1x/
- About the Program: “GEO 1X is a joint initiative of the Center for Civic Leadership, Student Success Initiatives, and the Schlumberger Excellence in Education Development Program to provide first-generation and/or low-income students an introductory international experience focused on STEM outreach…. Participating students will teach STEM education workshops to K-12 students and train Ecuadorian college students to deliver the curriculum going forward. Students will also participate in a variety of cultural immersion activities.”
- Eligibility: first-gen and/or low-income students of all majors—this is not a STEM program! Must have a demonstrated commitment to service and education access or sustainability. Preference will be given to returning students and those with limited international travel experience.
Rice Madrid Summer Internship Program
- On the Web: https://spanishandportuguese.rice.edu/academics/study-abroad/internships/madrid-2019
- About the Program: Rice University is offering a unique academic and professional experience with a faculty-led, six-credit hour program in Madrid, Spain.
- Eligibility: Interested students should be able to communicate above Intermediate II level Spanish. Preference will be given to those registered in an upper-division Spanish class during the Fall 2019 semester (above Intermediate Spanish II). If you are interested, you must schedule a short interview with Dr. Duno-Gottberg (firstname.lastname@example.org).
SIT Study Abroad Iceland: Renewable Energy, Technology, and Resource Economics
- On the Web: https://studyabroad.sit.edu/programs/summer/summer-2019/ice/
- About the Program: “Participants in this program develop knowledge of renewable energy technologies, an understanding of the role these technologies play in Iceland’s social and political context, and the ability to apply their knowledge to other situations. Coursework covers hydroelectricity and geothermal energy (the most commonly used renewables in Iceland) in-depth, as well as other renewables, and energy economics and policies.
- Students engage in classroom and field instruction in the basics of the Icelandic language and learn about the history and culture of the nation.”
- Eligibility: Undergraduates with previous college-level coursework or background in engineering, economics, environmental science or studies, or related fields
- On the Web: https://lorraine.gatech.edu/
- About the Program: Georgia Tech’s first international campus, is located in Metz, France, less than 90 minutes from Paris by train. The year-round campus offers programs in engineering, the sciences, business, French, and liberal arts for undergraduates from Georgia Tech and other U.S. universities. Students from around the world can pursue a Master's or Ph.D. in France's dynamic Grand Est region at an excellent value.
Arcadia Summer STEM Research Dublin
- On the Web: https://studyabroad.arcadia.edu/find-a-program/programs-by-country/ireland/stem-summer-research-dublin/?utm_source=TerraDotta&utm_campaign=database&utm_medium=homepage&utm_cireland_STEMsummer_dublin
- About the Program: “This innovative research program brings you to Dublin, Ireland, to one of Europe’s leading research-intensive institutions, University College Dublin (UCD)…. A variety of innovative research projects are offered in key areas of study: biology, chemistry, computer science, geological sciences, and ecology. You will conduct your independent research alongside academics and Ph.D. students with expertise in areas such as molecular biology, particle physics, synthetic chemistry, and data analytics.”
- Eligibility: Undergraduates with at least a 2.8 GPA
DAAD RISE: Research Internships in Germany for Undergraduate Students (Summer 2019)
- On the Web: https://www.daad.de/rise/en/rise-germany/find-an-internship/
- About the Program: “RISE Germany offers summer research internships in Germany for undergraduate students from North America, Great Britain, and Ireland. In their internships, students are carefully matched with doctoral students- whom they assist and who serve as their mentors. Interns receive a monthly stipend to cover everyday costs. About 300 scholarships are available each year.”
- Eligibility: Undergraduate students in biology, chemistry, computer science, physics, earth sciences or engineering (or a closely related field), who will have completed at least two years of a degree program by the time of the internship. Graduating students are not eligible to apply as you must remain enrolled as a degree-seeking student at Rice for the duration of the summer program. Open to U.S. citizen/resident and international students enrolled as a degree-seeking student at Rice.
UROP International at RWTH Aachen University
- On the Web: http://www.rwth-aachen.de/cms/root/Studium/Im-Studium/Angebote-fuer-Studierende/UROP/~wmy/UROP-INternational/?lidx=1
- About the Program: “UROP International consists of three components: a research project at one of RWTH Aachen's research institutes or labs is at the core.
- Note: Students are offered a comprehensive accompanying program: an intensive German course and workshops on intercultural learning, scientific methods, and research practice to prepare them for their respective research projects.
- Furthermore, our international guests participate in many leisure activities to gain a look at German history and culture and meet German and international students at RWTH. Regular get-togethers, excursions in the region, institute visits, and much more, form the framework of the students' stay in Aachen.”
- Eligibility: Undergraduate students at North American universities with a GPA of 3.2 or higher.
Optics in the City of Light IREU in France for Undergraduates
- On the Web: http://java.engin.umich.edu/ParisREU/
- About the Program: “This year the Optics in the City of Light Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) will offer 8 undergraduate junior level students the opportunity to spend 2 months in a variety of laboratories in Paris performing research with a wide range of ultrafast lasers. … Teams of faculty (one from Ann Arbor and one from Paris) will each direct an REU student on a collaborative project.”
- Eligibility: Open to current juniors who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents.
Rice Madrid Summer Internship Program
- On the Web: https://spanishandportuguese.rice.edu/academics/study-abroad/internships/madrid-2019
- About the Program: “You will take 2 classes (6 credits total). One of the courses (SPPO 492) will be a full-time, six-week internship in a company or NGO (Non-Government Organization) in Madrid. The second will be a class (SPPO 392) about contemporary Spanish culture and society.
- Internships: you will be working 5 days a week for six weeks. The class on the society and culture of Spain meets every Tuesday and Thursday evenings.”
- Eligibility: Students of all majors able to communicate above Intermediate II level Spanish.
University of Tokyo 2019 UTRIP: School of Science Research Internship Program for Undergraduates
- On the Web: https://www.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp/en/utrip/
- About the Program: UTRIP is an intensive summer research program targeted at undergraduates who have a keen interest in pursuing an M.S. or Ph.D. degree in the future. During the program, the participants receive intensive instruction and guidance on conducting research from renowned faculty members belonging to the GSS's five departments of physics, astronomy, chemistry, earth & planetary science, and biological sciences.
- Eligibility: Rising junior or rising senior students are given application preference. Graduating students are not eligible to apply as you must remain enrolled as a degree-seeking student at Rice for the duration of the summer program. Open to U.S. citizen/resident and international students enrolled as a degree-seeking student at Rice.
- Host Labs/Topics (Physics, Astronomy, Earth & Planetary science, Chemistry, and Biological Sciences): https://www.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp/en/utrip/program/hosting-labs.html
University of Tokyo 2019 Engineering Summer Education Program for Undergraduate and Graduate Students
- On the Web: http://oice.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp/exchange/Summerprogram.html
- About the Program: “UTRIP is an intensive summer research program targeted at undergraduates who have a keen interest in pursuing an M.S. or Ph.D. degree in the future. During the program, the participants receive intensive instruction and guidance on conducting research from renowned faculty members belonging to the GSS's five departments of physics, astronomy, chemistry, earth & planetary science, and biological sciences.”
- Eligibility: Rice University undergraduate and graduate students are eligible to apply as Rice is a current partner institution of the University of Tokyo. Undergraduate applicants must have completed at least two full years of study in a bachelor’s degree program by the time the summer program begins. Graduating students are not eligible to apply as you must remain enrolled as a degree-seeking student at Rice for the duration of the summer program. Open to U.S. citizen/resident and international students enrolled as a degree-seeking student at Rice.
- 2019 Host Labs (Civil Engineering, Architecture, Urban Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Precision Engineering, Systems Innovation, Aeronautics & Astronautics, Materials Engineering, Bioengineering, and Nuclear Innovation): https://drive.google.com/file/d/12sovGlmXn37zuwugdwPy_f7a92z1BHya/view
Tokyo Institute of Technology Summer 2019 Program for UG & Grad Students
- On the Web: https://www.titech.ac.jp/english/graduate_school/international/exchange/summer_program.html
- About the Program: “Participants will conduct individual research projects under the guidance of Tokyo Tech faculty members in faculty laboratories. They will also participate in a compulsory Japan Studies course and have the option of taking a beginner-level Japanese language course.”
- Eligibility: Degree-seeking undergraduate students majoring in science and engineering-related fields who have completed their second year at the time of participation and graduate students in science and engineering-related fields. Graduating students are not eligible to apply as you must remain enrolled as a degree-seeking student at Rice for the duration of the summer program. Open to U.S. citizen/resident and international students enrolled as a degree-seeking student at Rice.
Chinese University of Hong Kong Summer Undergraduate Research Programme
- On the Web: http://www.summer.cuhk.edu.hk/surp_faq/
- About the Program: “The Summer Undergraduate Research Programme (SURP) provides an opportunity for international undergraduate students to undertake research attachments for eight weeks at CUHK during the summer. Students will conduct research under the supervision of a CUHK faculty member and earn three credits upon successful completion of the programme.”
- Eligibility: Full-time senior undergraduate students currently registered at an overseas and non-Chinese university with good academic standing.
Australia & New Zealand
Arcadia Summer STEM Research Brisbane