Are you passionate about making a difference in the world? Do you have an interest in research, innovation, and entrepreneurship? If so, apply today for the Mehta Rice Engineering Scholars Program!
About the Program
The Mehta Rice Engineering Scholars Program is designed for exceptional graduate or undergraduate students who are interested in pursuing a career in research and innovation. This program provides students with the chance to work alongside top researchers, inventors, and entrepreneurs, and gain valuable experience that will set them up for a successful career in their chosen field.
As a Mehta Rice Engineering Scholar, you'll have access to a wide range of resources, including:
- Opportunities to participate in cutting-edge research projects
- Access to state-of-the-art equipment and facilities
- Mentorship and guidance from leading researchers and entrepreneurs
- Networking opportunities with other Mehta Rice Engineering Scholars and industry leaders
Outstanding students will be selected from the most prestigious institutions in India to come to the United States and spend three months at Rice University in Houston, Texas. The program is fully funded; therefore, participating students will not incur additional expenses. The scholars will be placed in the appropriate labs at Rice based on their research topic interest and the selection committee’s recommendation.
Take the first step towards an exciting and rewarding career in research and innovation.
How to Apply
Those students who are interested in applying should send a CV, a two-page research proposal (including potential Rice faculty with common research areas), and a letter of recommendation from his/her faculty advisor in India. Acceptance is contingent upon the host institution paying for the student’s international travel.
Important Program Dates
- April 1, 2023: Call for applications for the Mehta Rice Engineering Scholars Program
- May 15, 2023: Application deadline
- June 30, 2023: Applicant selection
- September 1, 2023: Arrival of first Mehta Rice Engineering Scholars cohort
Have questions about the Mehta Rice Engineering Scholars Program? Email Poornima Ajayan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What are the areas in which I can apply?
The five areas are:
- Quantum Science
- Advanced Materials
- Energy and Sustainability
- Data Science / Artificial Intelligence
- Bioengineering / Biological Sciences
- Will I get a scholarship from this program?
This program is fully funded. Each student will receive a stipend of $2500 per month when you arrive in the United States. This will take care of your expenses for lodging, meals & transportation. The only expense will be the airfare to arrive in the United States.
- How do I apply for visa?
Once you are selected for the program we will work with you to get all the necessary paperwork in order to apply for visa
- How many months can I stay?
You can stay anywhere between 3-6 months. For undergraduate students, we believe 3 months is sufficient. Graduate students can stay anywhere between 3-6 months depending on the project
- Do I need to contact the faculty at Rice before mentioning him/her in the application?
That is not necessary, but you are welcome to reach out and get prior approval from the faculty you are keen on working with.
- Can undergraduate, master's or PhD students apply for the program?
Yes. All are welcome to apply.
- Who should write the research proposal?
The student who is applying should come up with the research proposal.
- The start date mentioned on the website is September 1, 2023. Is that flexible?
The start date mentioned is just an estimate when the first cohort is expected to arrive. You can specify the dates you would like to come to Rice.
- How is the selection process?
Students are selected based on the application.
- Will there be an interview?
At this time, there is no interview planned.