The School of Engineering’s Event Planning Office was formed in 2006 to improve the event planning process and increase event quality and productivity by assisting with or reallocating event planning duties from departments needing assistance from a dedicated event planning team.
The Events Team is committed to providing event planning services for the George R. Brown School of Engineering, including the Dean’s Office, departments, centers, and institutes within the Dean’s jurisdiction. Events include conferences, workshops, symposia, lectures, site visits, meetings, receptions, and other special events.
As part of the Dean of Engineering’s Office, the events office reserves priority to Dean sponsored events. Availability varies on previously scheduled events.
What we Do
The events team works closely with the Office of the Dean of Engineering, as well as various departments, centers, and institutes, in collecting detailed information in order to assist with planning, coordinating, and implementing medium-sized to larger and more complex events.
Key elements of our work include:
- Consultation specific to your event needs
- Key logistics planning primarily during the pre-event stage
- Organizing event information to provide a project plan and cost estimate
- Negotiating purchases with reputable, proven vendors
- Coordinating logistics and providing hands-on assistance during your event depending on need and our availability
- Providing information for your Post-Event Report and Travel, Entertainment, Business Meeting Envelope
Other services we may be able to assist you with include:
- Establishing project budget, making budget projections and keeping detailed accounting records
- Reserving event space at Rice University, local facilities off campus, as well as arrangements at other locations outside Houston
- Assisting with arrangements in the following areas:
- Catering (Food and Beverage)
- Hotel accommodations
- Audio/visual services
- Web services
- Facilities and Engineering services
- Photography and videography coverage
- Safety, security and first aid
- Speakers and participants
- Posting event on University and Departmental calendars
- Media and press
- Shipping and receiving
- Accessibility and special needs
- Other arrangements as necessary
How can I request assistance for an event?
There are two forms that can be used to request assistance with an event. The first is the Engineering Event Assistance Request Form which is required for all events. The Engineering Event Specification Form provides the opportunity for more detailed requests for assistance. This latter form is recommended for very large and complex events that require more coordination with the Events Office.
How do I reserve a space for an event?
To reserve a space for an event in Duncan Hall, please fill out the Room Request Form for Major Events in Duncan Hall. If you are a non-Duncan Hall resident, you will need a someone from Duncan Hall to sponsor your event. If this is the case, please also fill out the Duncan Hall Sponsor’s Agreement.
What kind of help can I expect from the Events team with an event?
The Events team provides individualized consultations to ensure that any help is tailored to your specific event. This includes providing a product plan and cost estimate, negotiating purchases with vendors, and reserving event space on-campus or at local areas off-campus. For more information, please contact Cecilia Gimenez-Zapiola.