In support of the mission of FIRST® and in recognition of the academic and leadership potential of its participants, the George R. Brown School of Engineering at Rice University has established a program to support need-based scholarships for students majoring in engineering, including computer science, computational & applied mathematics, and statistics at Rice.
The School of Engineering will select two recipients for $10,000 scholarship awards, each renewable for up to four years, contingent upon maintaining good academic standing as an engineering major (including computer science, computational & applied mathematics, and statistics). Underrepresented minorities (African Americans, Hispanics/Latinx, Native Americans/Native Hawaiians/Alaska Natives), students with disabilities, and women are especially encouraged to apply.
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship, you must:
- be a high school senior at the time of application;
- have participated on a FIRST® Robotics Competition (FRC®) or a FIRST® Tech Challenge (FTC®) team during your junior and/or senior years in high school;
- apply and be admitted to Rice University as a full-time student to study engineering, including computer science, computational & applied mathematics, and statistics; and
- have demonstrated financial need as determined by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and Rice requirements.
Note: You do not need to have been admitted at the time you apply for this scholarship; however, receipt of the award is contingent upon you enrolling at Rice University in engineering, including computer science, computational & applied mathematics, and statistics. The offer of the scholarship is not to be construed as an offer of admission to the university.
To apply for the scholarship, complete the application package, which includes:
2. a letter of recommendation from an adult mentor/coach on your FIRST® team; and
3. an essay (500-750 words, double-spaced) describing why you chose your proposed major and how your experience(s) with FIRST® helped you develop skills that will benefit you in college and in your career (including, but not limited to leadership, innovation, design, teamwork, communication, etc.).
How to Submit Your Application
Submit application and supporting documents online or mail completed application package to:
Rice University FIRST® Scholarship Program
c/o Dr. Yvette E. Pearson
George R. Brown School of Engineering
6100 Main Street - MS 364
Houston, Texas 77005
Completed application package must be received by February 15.
We anticipate notifying scholarship recipients of awards annually in March.
Please email RiceFIRSTScholarship@rice.edu.
For information on Rice admissions and financial aid, visit Admission & Aid web page.